Here’s another chance to cook (or not cook) with fresh ingredients from the garden with this great Raw Cabbage and Tofu Salad recipe. It’s easy to make and uses your cabbage and carrot harvest from the cool-weather season.
It happens; we grow things and then try to figure out what to do with the bounty. This recipe uses a whole head of cabbage, making room for more in the fridge. We used a few colorful carrots and green onions from our winter garden. Here’s how it goes:
- 1 head Vertus Savoy Cabbage
- 2 carrots (we used 3 – Scarlet Nantes and Yellowstone)
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1-2 TBS. sesame oil (we used toasted oil)
- 5 Tsp. rice vinegar (we used brown rice vinegar)
- Sesame seeds
- It also calls for 1/4 cup cilantro. We used about a tablespoon of our frozen supply instead.
1) Make the dressing by mixing the tamari, sesame oil and vinegar. If using frozen cilantro in oil, add it to the dressing and set aside. It will dissolve quickly.
2) Chop cabbage into thin ribbons
3) Chop green onions and cut carrots into thin sticks. Add to cabbage in a large bowl.
4) Pour dressing over vegetables and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Mix to combine.
5) *Our addition to the recipe: 1 package of tofu. Use soft or firm as desired. Cut into cubes and mix into the salad. It will absorb some of the dressing and make this a meal.
This dish is perfect for parties or a light lunch on warm days.